Job title: Sr Software Engineer II (Sr Architect, Tech Lead Manager), Search
Job description: The search infrastructure team is starting a new team at our Bangalore site and is looking for their first Architect / Tech Lead Manager (TLM). In this role you will,
- Build vision
Take ownership of a vaguely defined major business problem or product vision, translate it into executable technical design and roadmaps to solve the problem or realize the product vision. * Demonstrate tech expertise
Demonstrate technical skills to go very deep or broad in solving classes of problems or creating broadly leveragable solutions. * Execute large scale projects
Subdivide the work into a monthly/quarterly sprints and compartmentalize across functions or teams and ensure everyone knows how they fit in. * Collaborate across teams
Work across a group (multiple teams) to deliver results and are recognized for your hiqh quality communication and coordination abilities. * Operationalizes
Ensures operational efficiency and impact. * Develops and Coaches
Invests time in coaching and supports the development of others.
What You’ll Do
You will invent cutting edge technology that supports the scale and real-time demands of Uber’s business, for example an event prediction system (engineering ).
As a Sr Software Engineer II, TLM, Search, you will:
- Build and develop the team. Attract top talent to the shared vision of the team and create/refine the team structure to scale. At the same time, you mentor and coach individual contributors to grow both technically and managerially.
- Deliver business impact. Work with product and data science partners to come up with success metrics and execute on concrete action plans.
- Collaborate with and influence other teams. Share and communicate roadmaps with external teams, as well as, understand & align team goals to deliver results efficiently.
- Lead cross-functional initiatives working with multiple internal customers.
- Design, develop and support a world-class search platform serving a wide variety of use cases.
- Produce high quality code that is robust, efficient and maintainable; our primary languages are Java and Go.
- Work at the core of Apache Lucene open source software with opportunities to contribute to open source.
- Work on challenging problems in areas such as relevance ranking, data ingestion, data storage, query optimization, JVM performance optimization, security, machine learning and more.
- Continually challenge what exists and explore what should be changed to best meet our business needs.
- Possess expert knowledge in large scale distributed system design and engineering best practices.
- Participate in setting a vision and objectives for a search platform in alignment with market opportunities.
- Drive and work on algorithm and architecture design, execute and deliver fault-tolerant systems.
What You’ll Need
- 12 plus years experience producing high qulity large-scale software
- 2 plus years experience leading engineering teams
- BS or MS in Computer/Information Science or Engineering
- Expertise in one or more object oriented programming language (e.g. Java, Go, Python, C++)
- Experience with building scalable production services with strict SLAs
- Experience with developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring and reliability.
- Experience with large-scale distributed search and storage systems (e.g. Elasticsearch, Apache Lucene, Apache Solr, Kafka)
- Ability to decompose complex business problems
- Experience implementing API and microservices
- Experience shipping high-quality features on schedule
- Experience building large scale distributed systems
- Experience implementing projects with multiple dependencies
- Experience with Search, Information retrieval, and Ranking
- Experience with Machine Learning
About the Team
Here at Uber our mission is to make transportation as reliable as running water, everywhere, for everyone. Uber serves billions of trips per year and we are currently making investments into the systems and infrastructure necessary to support 100+ million trips per day. A key enabler for the success and growth of Uber’s business is a world-class technical infrastructure for information retrieval and discovery.
The Infrastructure team builds solutions to help builders at Uber create innovative products. Within Infrastructure, the Search team delivers information retrieval systems to power various critical search and discovery features in Uber apps, including Rider and Driver Maps, Uber Eats, Groceries, Freight, and many others.
Passionate about search, Apache Lucene, ElasticSearch, Solr, Kafka, or Machine Learning? Come join our team to build Uber’s next-gen unified search platform across Uber products.
Our mission: One-stop, scalable solution for all search-related requirements across Uber
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Location: Bangalore, Karnataka
Job date: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 03:23:21 GMT
Apply for the job now!